Tuesday, January 11, 2022

Saffron Chicken Korma Mason Jars

                             


Happy New Year! As my last blog post from JUNE 2021 started....long time no blog?! I'm sure I tried a new recipe or two over the last 6 months, but to be honest I just didn't think of adding them here. However, it's a new year and I'm committing to try some new recipes and sharing them. >>>I decided to start with this one. Hubby and I went on a day date to an Indian restaurant, which inspired me to search for a new recipe. While a little more labor intensive, I decided to use meal prep day to make this for our work lunches. After it was done, I took a little taste. I DIDN'T REALLY LIKE IT. My first thought was: ugh! I spent all this time and not sure I'm even going to like it. <<<BOY, was I wrong!!>>>It just needed to sit for a day so the flavors could "marry" 😀Hubby even texted me after he ate his to say how delicious it was!! Some new recipes don't always work out, and that's ok. It's a lot of trial and error; and thankfully this one made the cut. Hope you like it too!




Saffron Chicken Korma Mason Jars

w/Brown Rice & Roasted Broccoli & Cauliflower


Ingredients:

  • 5T canola or olive oil, divided
  • 5 cups of diced onions
  • ¼ cup unsalted cashews
  • ¼ cup water
  • 1 ½ cup low-fat plain yogurt
  • 2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breast or thighs, cut into bite sized pieces
  • 3 cloves of garlic, minced
  • 2T fresh ginger, grated
  • 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
  • Cilantro for garnish

Spices:

  • 2 tsp garam masala
  • ½ tsp cardamom
  • ½ tsp coriander
  • ½ tsp turmeric
  • ¼ tsp cayenne (more for more heat)
  • ¼ tsp saffron threads, crushed
  • Sprinkle of salt, pepper, cinnamon

Serve with 

  • Brown rice (I prepared 5 cups total for lunches and one family of 4 dinner)
  • Roasted Broccoli & Cauliflower (one head each)

Instructions:

  1. Heat 4T of oil in a large skillet over medium-low heat.  Add onions and cook, stirring frequently, until caramelized and slightly crispy, 25-30 minutes.  Transfer to a blender and add cashews and water.  Blend until smooth.
  2. Combine yogurt and all spices listed from garam masala through saffron in a bowl. Set aside. 
  3. Place the pan over medium heat and add the remaining 1T of oil. Sprinkle the oil with salt, pepper, and cinnamon.  Stir till fragrant (10-15 seconds).  Add chicken, garlic, and ginger.  Cook, stirring occasionally, until the chicken starts to brown, 5-7 minutes. 
  4. Stir in the pureed onion mixture, and the yogurt mixture into the pan with the chicken.  Adjust heat to maintain a low simmer, partially cover and cook, stirring occasionally, about 20 minutes.  
  5. Garnish and Enjoy as a Family meal or layer into pint sized Mason Jars with ½ cup of brown rice on the bottom, ¾ cup of chicken Korma, and top with one cup of roasted broccoli and cauliflower. Store in fridge to take for work lunches or on the go dinners.  

 *This recipe easily makes six work lunches AND a family dinner.  You can cut the recipe in half or freeze a portion for later. I have actually found that I like the flavor even more as a leftover as the dish has time for the flavors to combine.  This dish is layered with Indian spices.  If you like Indian food you will like this recipe! Also, this can easily be made into a vegetarian dish by substituting the chicken for a vegetarian option like tofu or seitan and sub in veggie broth for the chicken broth. 








 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Italian White Bean Soup